Friday, October 27, 2006

A Glutton's Challenge

I was recently telling my buddy Andy about this awesome blog that I was pretty sure he would be interested in reading. After I tried to convince him I had over a million readers, I was finally brought down to admitting there are only about three. And I don't think any of them are "regulars". Mostly just creepy old men, possibly Congressman, trolling for young kids.

Needless to say, I explained the concept of my blog, and after commending me on my foresight, he mentioned that he has about 10 meals around Atlanta that he could enjoy on any given night. I naturally thought to myself, I too have several items around town that while I don't necessarily enjoy frequently, I would go out of my way for. Seeing as my loyal contributors and readers probably do as well, I thought I would issue a challenge.

I challenge everyone out there to list there five favorite culinary delights overall, as well as the five items you enjoy the most in Atlanta. This can be as fancy as the stuffed filet with bernaise sauce and funky ass mushrooms, or as simple as the kettle corn I got at the St. Patrick's Day parade last year. Just whatever you enjoy.

My favorites are as follows (not necessarily in order):

1. Fresh lobster rolls in Maine - The fact that lobster is sold out of small huts comparable to t-shirts during a falcons game, is just fantastic.
2. Hot and sour chicken rice from Big Bowl - Although this is no longer on their menu and Big Bowl is effectively an Asian version of Chili's (Same owner too!), it is still my favorite dish at a restaurant which holds such nice memories for me and C.
3. Barbecue Rolls/Wylie's Brisket - The barbecue rolls were something I had in Memphis on a trip down to Mardi Gras my senior year in college. Basically an egg roll stuffed with pulled pork, they were the best dish I had the whole trip and that includes $5 big ass beers. I consider this a tie with Wylie's brisket because they are both of the barbecue variety. As many of you know, I consider Wylie's brisket to be the finest on earth.
4. Skyline Chili 5-Way and 2 Coneys - Never have understood why Cincinnatiians can order anything less than a five way. Just doesn't seem right.
5. Cuban Mix sandwich from Key West - Another delicacy that can only be summed up with the words, "10 cuban mix, oh".

Atlanta Favorites

1. Philly Cheese Steak from Woody's - While I have never been to Philadelphia, I have a hard time believing their sandwiches can beat all the things I enjoy about Woody's. The uncomfortable tables, long-ass lines and cokes with the crunchy wet ice. Nothing is sweeter than watching two large men sharing 12 square feet of space with no air conditioning, slaving over a hot grill.
2. George's burgers - Ground chuck, salt and pepper on a bun.
3. Cuban sandwich at Havana. A regular lunch spot for me. The sandwiches are not quite the same as the ones mentioned above, but the rice and beans on the side make for a nice diversion from the fries and chips of my lunches.
4. Coke from McDonalds - I don't know if it is urban legend or the truth, that McDonald's adds more syrup to the mix, but I do know that nothing tastes better than a large coke from McDonald's.
5. Prime filet from Buckhead Beef - While not actually a restaurant, I have never purchased a steak from a grocery store which can compete with their offerings.

So that is about it. I imagine that each of you will have your own favorites, and I encourage you to post them.

1 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you need to write a new post. Being a closet glutton who mainly gorges on candy and chocolate, I'm afraid I can't intelligently respond to your challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home